Summer Assignment



This summer, my seminarian assignment is to be stationed at Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church in Bradenton, Florida (just south of the Tampa Bay area).


It is a large and friendly parish, with beautiful, peaceful grounds, and extensive facilities that the parish and local community alike are able to utilize.

I've almost been here a month and time is sure flying!


Here's a glimpse around the parish, I found on the internet, including its famous mural above the altar.






It is truly a blessing to see so many parishoners involved in all the different apostolates and to be involved in ministering to God's people here!   So far, I've met with prayer groups, the rosary makers, Legion of Mary, Knights of Columbus, St. Vincent de Paul Society, etc.  Besides serving at Holy Mass and distributing Communion there, I'm also bringing Holy Communion to the homebound.  The youth ministry program has just started up a bible study group, so I hope to attend that next week.

Two weeks ago, the seminarians of our diocese gathered at Bishop Dewane's house for a BBQ.  It was so great to see my other seminarian brothers whom I hadn't seen in two years and to meet the new ones! We are truly blessed to have good, down to earth men who are seeking holiness, studying for our diocese!  But we certainly need more!  Speaking of vocations, the next day found me returning home to Ave Maria, Florida for the university's 2015 Youth Conference.  It was a tremendous success and the largest to date, attracting over 750 teens from as far north as St. Augustine, FL and as far south as the Florida Keys.  I was privileged to share my personal witness and faith journey and speak about vocations with all the attendees.  An awesome time, to be sure! Accompanying me at our vocations booth were five other young seminarians and it was great to see how they related to the teens and encouraged them to grow in our faith.  We received 10-15 contacts, so pray that these young men will be open to hearing the Lord's call in their lives!




Following my time here in Bradenton, I will be serving in the Diocese for the rest of year, as part of my Pastoral Year program- location to be determined, before returning to Rome to continue my studies.  A Pastoral Year is similar to an extended spiritual internship, where I assist at a parish and learn more about the practical, day to day operations of church life, in conjunction with self-guided studies and deepening of my prayer life.  It is an exciting opportunity for me to grow closer to the people of our diocese and one that I am blessed to have!

Until next time, may God bless you and keep you!













Comments

Popular Posts